Indefinite Leave to Remain Based on Marriage: Your Path to Permanent Residency
Explore the pathway to Indefinite Leave to Remain based on Marriage. Find eligibility, required documents, fees, and how Kayani Legal can help you succeed.
What is ILR based on Marriage?
Indefinite Leave to Remain based on Marriage is a permanent residency status for non-EEA spouses of UK citizens or residents, allowing unrestricted stay and work in the UK. It is a step towards British citizenship.
When to Apply?
You can apply for ILR based on Marriage after five years of lawful residence, holding a valid Spouse or Partner Visa. We recommend using it before your current Visa expires.
What Documents are Required?
You will attach documents for ILR based on Marriage, including valid passports, marriage certificates, proof of residence in the UK, evidence of meeting financial requirements, proof of English language proficiency, Life in the UK test certificate, and two passport-sized photographs.
Home Office Fee for ILR Based on Marriage
The Home Office fee for ILR based on Marriage includes an application fee of £2,389 and a biometric information fee of £19.20.
How to Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain Based on Marriage in the UK
If you are a non-UK citizen living in the UK on a Spouse Visa or Partner Visa for five years, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) based on your Marriage or civil partnership. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for ILR based on Marriage.
Step 1: Confirm Eligibility
Before applying for ILR, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Five years of lawful residence in the UK on a Spouse Visa or Partner Visa
- An ongoing genuine relationship with your UK spouse or partner
- Financial needs met (minimum income threshold or savings)
- English language proficiency at CEFR Level B1 or higher
- Passed the Life in the UK test
Step 2: Gather Required Documents
Collect the following documents:
- Valid passports for both you and your spouse
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate
- Proof of residence in the UK (council tax bills, utility bills, etc.)
- Evidence of meeting financial requirements (payslips, bank statements, etc.)
- English language proficiency proof (test results or academic qualification)
- Life in the UK test certificate
- Two passport-sized photographs
Step 3: Complete SET(M) Application Form
Fill out the SET(M) form online:
- Provide accurate personal and immigration information
- Answer all questions truthfully
- Review for errors before submitting
Step 4: Pay the Application Fee
Pay the required fees:
- ILR application fee: £2,389
- Biometric information fee: £19.20
- Make a payment online during the application process
Step 5: Book and Attend a Biometric Appointment
Schedule a biometric appointment:
- Attend an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) centre
- Provide your fingerprints and a digital photograph
- Bring your passport and appointment confirmation
Step 6: Submit Supporting Documents
Provide the required documents:
- Upload online or submit at your biometric appointment
- Ensure all documents are clear and legible
- Include certified translations for non-English documents
Step 7: Await Decision
Be patient during the processing period:
- Average processing time: 2-6 months
- Home Office may request further information
- Stay in the UK while waiting for a decision
Step 8: Receive the Decision
Home Office will notify you of the outcome:
- If approved, receive your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
- If refused, consider appealing or reapplying with the help
How long does it take to process an ILR application based on Marriage?
The average processing time for an ILR application based on Marriage is 2-6 months, varying depending on application complexity.
Can my dependents apply for ILR with me?
Yes, your dependents can apply, but separate applications are required, and they must meet the eligibility criteria.
What if my ILR application based on Marriage is refused?
If your ILR application based on Marriage is refused, review the refusal reasons, seek legal advice, and consider appealing or reapplying.
Can I travel outside the UK with ILR?
Yes, you can travel outside the UK, and there are no restrictions on re-entry. However, absences are pivotal for a citizenship application.
Why Choose Kayani Legal for Your ILR Based on Marriage Application?
Kayani Legal offers expert legal advice, tailored guidance on eligibility and documents, comprehensive application support, assistance with complex cases, and dedication to securing your future in the UK.
In conclusion, obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) based on Marriage is crucial for permanent residency and British citizenship. Ensure a successful application by understanding eligibility requirements, gathering the necessary documents, and following the application process. For expert assistance and a tailored approach, trust Kayani Legal’s experienced solicitors to guide you through every step.