At Kayani Legal, A Firm of Solicitors, we regularly advise individuals in same-sex relationships on various issues, including living together, pre-nuptial or pre-civil partnership agreements, civil partnership dissolution and divorce. Whatever stage you are at in your relationship, our experts can provide the guidance you need to make the right decisions for you and for anyone who depends on you.

We’ve put together a selection of frequently asked questions about our services for same-sex couples relationships on a dedicated page which we hope you’ll find useful.

What if a same-sex relationship breaks down?

The end of a same-sex relationship is a difficult time, but it’s important not to rush into decisions. The right legal advice can help protect your rights whether you have been living together, have a cohabitation agreement or are in a civil partnership or married. As one of the leading family and divorce law firms in the south of England, we can help you with informed, practical advice and the reassurance of many years’ experience in handling these delicate matters.

The law has now generally caught up with the concept of same-sex relationships, which means that if your relationship breaks down, many of the legal aspects about divorce and separation now apply to same-sex relationships too. It depends on how formalised your relationship is, whether you are simply living together, have made a cohabitation agreement, are in a civil partnership or are married.

Whatever your arrangement, the end of a relationship is a painful time. It can be difficult to think clearly, but it’s important not to rush into decisions now, only to regret them later. This is where professional assistance from an expert in same-sex family law can help. By discussing your situation and discovering the outcome you want, your solicitor will be able to suggest the right course of action to protect your interests, particularly where jointly owned property or assets are concerned.

Our family law and expert same-sex divorce lawyers have wide experience of helping couples through the ordeal of a relationship breakdown. We will provide pragmatic and reassuring advice that will help give you certainty at a time of confusion. Here we explain how your rights differ, depending on whether you were living together, had a cohabitation agreement, were in a civil partnership or were married.


If your marriage is legally recognised in England and Wales (including same-sex marriages) and your relationship breaks down, you might want to start divorce proceedings. Our family law team includes experienced same-sex divorce solicitors who can offer all of the legal advice and support you need to protect your interests and those of any children you may have together with your former partner. See our separate divorce page.

Living together/cohabitation

If you are living together and subsequently break up, the law does not provide a great deal of protection. This is why it’s a good idea, if yours is a long-term relationship, to make a cohabitation agreement (sometimes also known as a living together agreement). Such an agreement can offer you and your partner confidence with how property and other financial matters will be dealt with while living together and if the relationship breaks down. A properly drafted cohabitation agreement can also offer civil remedies concerning certain aspects if there is a dispute.

If you want to live together without making a cohabitation agreement or entering into a civil partnership, it’s sensible to have legally enforceable agreements covering property or major assets you have bought together. Then, if your relationship ends, you will each know where you stand in terms of the property and/or assets, and what your share will be.

We can explain how this works and draw up the legal documents for you. We can also advise on what happens to the money if you had a joint bank account.

If you have children, the situation is rather more complicated. Parental responsibility laws mean you must make decisions about your children’s living arrangements, health, education and welfare. If you’re the same-sex partner of a child’s parent, you may have parental responsibility. This will affect your rights and responsibilities regarding contact with the child and providing financial support for them if your relationship has ended.

Since this can become complex, we strongly recommend you talk to experienced same-sex solicitors first, such as the team at Moore Barlow. We’ll listen, and give you practical advice, including how to use our mediation service if you cannot agree.

Civil partnership

A civil partnership has very similar legal status to marriage, so if your relationship has reached breaking point you can dissolve a civil partnership in much the same way as married couples get a divorce.

You will need to show the court you have been in a civil partnership for longer than a year and prove to the court that your civil partnership has irretrievably broken down  under:

  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Two years’ separation by consent
  • Five years’ separation without consent
  • Desertion for two years or more
  1. Interestingly adultery is not a fact

Stages for dissolving a civil partnership

The petitioner (the person wanting to end the civil partnership) files a petition at court for the dissolution of the civil partnership. As well as preparing the petition, your solicitor will also prepare a Statement of Reconciliation. This confirms that you, as Petitioner, and your solicitor has discussed the possibility of reconciliation. The petition, statement and fee for the petition are all sent to the court.

The court will send a copy of the sealed petition, together with an Acknowledgement of Service, to the Respondent, who is the other person in the partnership. The Respondent completes the acknowledgement and returns it. If they accept the stated grounds for divorce and don’t intend to defend it, their role in this process comes to an end.

The petitioner then files a statement in support of the petition and asks the court to grant the first order within the dissolution process, which is a conditional order. After six weeks and a day, the petitioner can apply for the final order and the civil partnership is officially dissolved.

How long does it take to dissolve a civil partnership?

Depending on the court and availability of court time, the divorce process can take around 18 to 24 weeks.

What are the court fees for getting a dissolution of a civil partnership?

Currently, the court fee is £550 (please note, this is not the solicitor’s fee).

Can the courts deal with your dissolution; do they have jurisdiction?

The courts in England and Wales can deal with your dissolution if they have ‘jurisdiction’, which usually means as long as both parties are habitually resident in England and Wales.

You may need to prove you are habitually resident in England or Wales and have been for at least one year. There are various other aspects involved, but this is a specialised area of law and they are too complex to cover here. If you’re in any doubt, please ask our advice.

The next step

It’s a good idea to see us as early as possible if you contemplating dissolving your partnership. We may be able to help you save the relationship through our mediation and collaborative approach services. Where children and finances are concerned, it’s important to have expert advice, to ensure your rights are protected and that you’re clear about your obligations. 

The Help You Need, from Experienced, Respected Family Law Solicitors


Whatever family or relationship difficulties you are facing, our Ilford, London based family law experts are readily available to assist with specialist advice across all aspects of family law. Our fees are reasonable and competitive and you’ll find them fully transparent, i.e. no hidden costs or surprises.